Grain-Free Chickpea Mayhem - Chickpeas aka Garbanzo's are the mainstay of many novice vegan protein plans. Loaded with Protein & Carbs by the can or cooked, these peas make the paste.
My 1st Hummus venture was out of a cookbook at my Great-Grandmother's old farm house. I later went to work for the man behind the Cabbagetown Cafe cookbook. I also got falafel'd out. over 30 years later, chickpeas are a rare main meal or salad item for me. If chickpeas could walk, they are on my plank for taste fatigue. Though, I would plant them in the ground where they belong;- Here is my last Vegan-Keogenic-grain-free-fruit-free Chick Pea recipe from scratch.
Deconstructed Hummus Salad
estimated effective(net) carbs 20-25.5g
estimated calories 227.5
- 2 tbsp - 1/4 cup hydrated chick peas (carb 11.5g canned, calories 72)
- 1tbsp raw sesame seeds (carb 2.1g, calories 52)
- 1Tbsp parsley (carb .2g, calories 1 )
- Pinch natural sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp MCT oil (carbs 0, calories 75)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Romaine or Other inner/outer lettuce leaf (carb .1g - .7g, calories 4)
- 1/2 a 301g cucumber - cut lengthwise & scoop out seeds. (Carb 5.5g, calories 23.5)
- Optional 1/8 a Lemon= wedge (carb 5.5g)
- Halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Keep them if u want to eat them. Dice lettuce and parsley.
- Mix lettuce leaf & parsley leaves, with sesame seeds, cayenne, salt, and sesame seeds (and cucumber seeds).
- Then mix MCT oil with the chick peas.
- After chick peas are evenly coated with oil, mix thoroughly with leaves & seeds mixture.
- Spoon the chick peas and leaves & seeds mixture into the hollowed out cucumber.
- Let marinade overnight or its ready to eat.
- Squeeze lemon juice onto salad as desired
Additional extras:- white pepper to taste